…Or in this case last to first. That being good Queen Bess, the last of the Tudors and James I, the first of the Stuarts. Edward IV also decided to make a little appearance, although he wasn’t the first or last of his kin, he was heralded in the starting stakes as being the first monarch to marry a ‘commoner’. Doesn’t have quite the same effect as beginning and ending such dramatic dynasties as the aforementioned does it? 🙂
I was trying to think of a link between these three monarchs that I backstitched last night and other than the obvious of them being related and all kings, I was a bit stumped. Thing is, they were each looked at in a very different way. Charles II was much loved (the good), Charles I divided the nation in opinion (partly bad) and James II was loathed by most (he had a very ugly spirit). So yeah, give them some spurs and a pistol and maybe they would have popped up in a theatre alongside Clint Eastwood 🙂
Our few days of beautiful sunshine in the UK seem to be dwindling as today its decided to totally slash it down and I think I even heard a clap or two thunder. Thanfully though, seeing these bloomingly brilliant drawers has certainly put some sunshine back into the day! I don’t know if you can see from my rubbish pictures but the design is all made of sculpted polymer clay with little wooden ladybirds. My favourite colour is yellow and favourite blooms are sunflowers so I adore them. The reason for this post about them really is to give a big thank you to Jaycee Crafts and also to share a link to her page so that you can take a peek at her other beautiful designs too if you wish. Her pricing is amazing value (these drawers were only £35-bargain) and she is one of the most helpfully accommodating people Ive met so pop over and say hi 🙂
I don’t know whether my brain was trying to tell me it was bored of backstitching during this section, but I couldn’t stop thinking what a lovely dress Victoria is wearing! Im really not normally shallow but I couldn’t help but dream of wearing one of these huge gowns that were trendy at the time. As my mind wandered, I got transported to a masked ball where everyone was in pretty outfits and powdered wigs. A sucker for facts, my mind decided to bring me back to reality by telling me I was in the wrong time period (my current thoughts being in the Georgian era), when in fact I was stitching Queen Vic, where Cholera and poverty were more commonplace in her nation. That certainly brought me back to earth with a thump, just as well as William and Mary wouldn’t have sewn themselves! 🙂
Yep, all of the George’s are now complete, woo! Something I forgot to mention earlier on when I started the backstitching, was that I took up a new skill. I must admit that in other projects where I should have used french knots I have cheated and just done half stitches. Because of how long this design has taken, I chose not to cut corners and just give it a go. It was actually an awful lot easier to do than the directions seemed to show and now after a fair few eyes (including those of the Queen’s corgi’s) I love creating them! So in the space of a couple of evenings I go from non non non to ooh la la! As they say, Joie de vivre! 🙂
I am very surprised and super happy to say that Ive been nominated for the Liebster award again by the very lovely and talented Black Mood Craft. I always love seeing her updates with gorgeous and quirky makes so a massive thank you to her for my nomination! I am following the rules this time set by Black Mood Craft, which are:
1. Link back to the blogger that awarded you
2. Answer the 10 questions set by that blogger
3. Ask your own 10 questions
4. Nominate other bloggers and let them know of their nominations in their posts.
There hasn’t been a designated number of nominees you need to provide, but seen as the ongoing theme is 10, I have chosen to stick with that number. As I have already nominated now 20 fellow bloggers, don’t be offended if I don’t suggest you as Im selecting people randomly and I may have already picked you in the past 🙂 So here goes…. drumroll….
Please check out all of the above blogs, they are all awesomely beautiful people with some great things to share for you to read or see 🙂
Right, question time, I will now answer Black mood craft’s set asks…
1. George Romero zombies or Danny Boyle zombies? Im not really a zombie film fan, but probably Romero.
2. Favourite Sherlock Holmes Pastiche? Im hoping this counts as the book does feature Sherlock, so Hound of the Baskervilles.
3. Cowboys or Jedi? Cowboys. Being a real cowboy, not a Clint Eastwood cowboy, would have took real balls.
4. What was your first pet? The first pets I can remember were Candy and Tigger, who were tabby cat brother and sister.
5. Have you ever had a favourite piece of clothing/soft toy/security blanket that you couldn’t live without? I think Ive had numerous! When I was little I had a big teddy called Bramwell that I used to adore and sleep with and I now have my son’s teddy bear on my bedside table. Obviously haven’t changed much!
6. Tea or coffee? How do you take it? Earl grey tea, well brewed, splash of milk. I think I will put the kettle on now…
7. Have you ever been to a midnight movie? Which was your favourite? I haven’t.
8. Have you ever sewn anything? How old were you when you learned? Too many things in some people’s eyes! My mum used to do cross stitching and tapestries when I was little which I think started my interest in them but I taught myself a few years ago how to do them. I first started garment construction when I was a teenager at college and my makes took part in a fashion show. I am really proud of what I achieved then and that I taught myself how to do different forms of decorative sewing, but a bit sad that I have had years without using a sewing machine so am really rusty now. I have been trying to get back on the saddle with it recently though.
9. Last book you read? Im reading a book on Napoleon at the moment, but I think the last one I finished was Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan which my friend lent me. I usually only read factual books.
10. Last song you listened to on tape/CD/digital download? The song playing on my Ipod right now is Seven Seas by Echo and the Bunnymen 🙂
Yay! Now I get to be Magnus Magnusson… your questions are…
1. Whats your favourite joke?
2. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
3. Will you be up for doing a secret Santa this year? (please say yes)
4. Favourite historical character?
5. Do you have a most donated to charity or one close to your heart?
6. Do you always plan before you make something or are they usually impulsive?
7. If I were to give you a tenner now, what would you do with it? (just to let you know, Im not giving away any tenners :-D)
8. If you could have any talent, which one would you choose?
9. Choose one song that sums up how you are feeling at this very moment.
10. Is the hokey cokey really what it is all about? 😀
So, there you go lots of answering and asking and now I have a load of brick dust to clear up so…